| Basic Facts
Forest Area Facts
- Some of the finest hardwoods in the world grow in Ohio.
- One walnut tree sold for $35,000 in 1975, from Pioneer, Ohio.
- Ohio has 15 national champion Big Trees growing in its soil.
- Ohio’s has led the nation in Tree City USAs for the past 25 years.
- 237 Ohio communities are certified Tree City USAs, as of 2006.
- Ohio has led the nation in Tree City USAs for the past 24 years.
- Ohio’s state designated wilderness area is located on Shawnee State Forest (8,000 acres).
- Hiking, camping, climbing, hunting and many more recreational activities are abundant in Ohio’s forests.
- The Buckeye Trail and North Country Trail both travel through state forest and federal forest lands in Ohio.
Government Ownership Facts
- 31 percent of Ohio is forested.
- 8.5 million acres in Ohio are in tree cover.
- 96 percent of Ohio’s forests are hardwood trees (deciduous).
- 4 percent of Ohio’s forests are conifers (evergreens).
- Two Ohio counties are more than 70 percent forested (Lawrence and Vinton).
- There are over 100 different hardwood tree species growing in Ohio.
- There are over 25 different softwood tree species growing in Ohio.
- There are 43 different forest types in Ohio (such as oak-hickory, beech-maple, oak-gum).
Private Ownership Facts
- Ohio has 20 state forests, exceeding 185,000 acres spanning 21 counties.
- Ohio has 1 state forest nursery.
- More than 2,000,000 tree seedlings are produced, sold and planted each year from this nursery for reforestation in Ohio.
- The Wayne National Forest is located in Ohio (more than 236,000 acres and growing).
- 87 percent of Ohio’s forests are owned by private woodland owners.
- Ohio has 397,000 family forest owners who own a total of 6.2 million acres of woodland.
- 1,850 woodland owners are Tree Farmers.
- Tree farmers manage 383,647 acres of Ohio woodlands.
- Ohio ranks in the top ten nationally in maple syrup production, with about 78,000 gallons.
- Ohio maple syrup producers gather about 4,000,000 gallons of sap each year.
- 552 Ohio Christmas Tree producers are growing a combined total of about 9.39 million trees
- Since 1977, the Division of Forestry has planted more than 1,000 row miles of windbreaks in northwest Ohio on more than 1,400 separate sites.
| Forest Industry Facts
Forest Fire Facts
- Ohio harvests 300-400 million board feet of timber each year.
- Ohio grows one billion board feet of wood each year. This is 2.5 to three times as much timber as Ohio harvests annually.
- There are over 180 sawmills in Ohio.
- There are nearly 2,000 secondary wood products industries in Ohio.
- About 188,000 Ohioans are employed in the wood products industry.
- Direct payroll for Ohio’s forest industry is in excess of $1 billion per year.
- Employee compensation for the forest products industries in Ohio totaled $8.3 billion in 2001.
- Wood industries in Ohio account for 3.56 percent of all employment.
Within the forest fire protection area
(the unglaciated hill country)
Forestry Colleges Facts
- 800 forest and grass fires burn in Ohio each year (average).
- 4,500 acres of forest and grasslands are consumed in these fires each year (average).
- Hocking College (2 year)
- The Ohio State University (4 year)
- Cooperative Program between Kent State University (2 year) and Michigan State Univ. (3 year).
Statewide and National Groups
- Ohio Society of American Foresters (OSAF)
- International Society of Arboriculture (ISA)
- Ohio Forestry Association
- Ohio Association of Consulting Foresters
- Ohio Tree Farm System/ Master Tree Farmers
- Ohio Maple Producers’ Association
- Ohio Christmas Tree Growers Association
- Regional Woodland Owners Groups
- Northeastern Ohio Forestry Association
- Ohio Woodland Owners Association
- East Central Ohio Forestry Association
- Northwest Ohio Forestry Associatio
- West Central Ohio Forestry Club
- Southwestern Ohio Woodland Owners Association
- Southern Ohio Forestlands Association
- Southeastern Ohio Woodlands Interest Group
- Muskingum River Woodland Interest Group
- Central Ohio Woodland Interest Group
- East Central Ohio Loggers’ Chapter
- Southern Ohio Loggers’ Chapter
- Southeast Ohio Loggers’ Chapter
- Paint Valley Loggers’ Chapter
- Muskingum Valley Loggers’ Chapter
- Northeast Ohio Loggers’ Chapter
- Steel Valley Loggers’ Chapter