Office of Coastal Management
The Office of Coastal Management’s core responsibilities include administration of the federally approved Ohio Coastal Management Program; issuing approximately $2 million annually in grants; providing Lake Erie-related education programs and mapping products; and providing free technical assistance on a variety of subjects including how to best address coastal erosion issues and shore structure design.
The mission of the Office of Coastal Management is to "Achieve a balance between use and preservation of Lake Erie's coastal resources, in collaboration with our partners, by effectively administering the Ohio Coastal Management Program." To help achieve this mission, the Coastal Office administers the Ohio Coastal Management Program.
The ODNR created the Office of Coastal Management in 2002 in a reorganization effort designed to better serve Ohioans' coastal needs. Prior to this time, the Office of Coastal Management’s role was carried out by various ODNR divisions. However, knowing the importance of Lake Erie to the economic, aesthetic, cultural and natural well-being of Ohio residents, ODNR felt it would be best to have coastal issues coordinated through one office.
The Office of Coastal Management, located on Sandusky’s waterfront, is the only ODNR entity to be headquartered outside of Columbus.
- Administration of the Ohio Coastal Management Program.
- Providing Lake Erie-related education and outreach programs and mapping products.
- Providing free technical assistance on how to best address coastal erosion issues and shore structure design.
- Administering regulatory provisions in Ohio Revised Code 1506 and Ohio Administrative Code 1501-6.
- Fostering relationships with partners and stakeholders.
- Coordinating with state, federal and local entities to promote the effective management, protection and restoration of Ohio’s coastal resources.
- Administering grants including Coastal Management Assistance Grants, Core Discretionary grants, Coastal and Estuarine Land Conservation Program grants and annual NOAA grants to the Ohio Coastal Management Program.
- Providing support to the Coastal Resources Advisory Council (1506.12).
Guiding Principles and Values
Coastal Resource Stewardship
- Our actions serve to protect Ohio’s historical, cultural, economic and natural resources heritage.
- Our decisions are based on sound science, the law and ethical standards.
- We value environmental awareness and education for inspiring Ohioans to embrace a conservation ethic.
- Our office’s actions will empower individuals, communities, businesses and others to further their efforts toward sustainable stewardship of Ohio’s historical, cultural, economic and natural resources.
- We are committed to the delivery of quality services, resource information and technical assistance.
- Public participation and involvement is essential to the development and ongoing improvement of Lake Erie and watershed resources.
- We are committed to creating a safe, healthy and rewarding experience for all who use and enjoy Ohio’s coastal resources.
- We value our human resources and help them to achieve the most in their professions by encouraging skill development, building diversity and embracing institutional knowledge.
- We foster a culture that practices continuous improvement throughout the workplace.
- We take advantage of emerging technology to enhance our productivity and the quality of our services.
For more information: