Why Does Ohio Need this Stamp?
Much is changing about the way Ohio’s wildlife conservation, restoration and enhancement efforts are supported.
Did you know that no taxpayer dollars are used to fund wildlife diversity projects in Ohio?
One source is the dedicated funds voluntarily contributed to the state tax check off, and revenues received from sales of the cardinal and bald eagle license plates. These funds are vital to wildlife conservation, but they are not enough.
In fact, it’s been Ohio’s hunters and anglers who have shouldered most of the responsibility for conservation projects. Through the purchase of licenses and permits, these outdoorsmen and women have funded the restoration of the bald eagle and river otter, as well as the acquisition of critical habitats, and development of educational materials. Those funds also provide required matching dollars for federal grants.
The competition for those dollars is growing and there simply isn’t enough funding to meet all of the needs for Ohio’s wildlife.
Your commitment to buy the Ohio Wildlife Legacy Stamp is an opportunity to take an active role in ensuring the future of our amazing wildlife and the habitat it calls home.
1. Increase the availability of funds so that Ohio can be ready to take advantage of unique land-purchase opportunities.
2. Provide a mechanism that spreads the funding responsibility of land purchases and wildlife diversity beyond hunters and anglers.
3. Promote the restoration, conservation and enhancement of wildlife habitats
4. Create a tool that allows partnership opportunities with like-minded organizations and others to carry the message of wildlife diversity and habitat preservation.
5. Educate people of all ages about the importance of investing today for tomorrow’s Wild Ohio.
Back to Ohio Wildlife Legacy Stamp Home